In my post about out of band management networks I mentioned console servers as a mean of providing centralized remote access to network devices collocated in the same site. This post is a complementary post for the previous one if you are planning to use a console server in your out of band management network. Below are 7 questions to ask before you buy a console server:
- What access methods does this console server support? ” Dial up, GSM, IP connectivity”
- How many serial console ports does the console server provide? “No. of managed devices”
- How many Ethernet ports does it provide? “if required”
- Does it provide DC or AC power management for your devices? “if required”
- How is the console server managed and configured?
- What authentication methods does the console server provide?
- What security features and protocols does this console server provide?
Some devices provide a lot other features but I thought these are the main points you need to know about console server before you buy. Share your experience with us..
No related posts.